A summary for people practitioners to find out what actions they need to take for Brexit
Since 31 January 2020, the United Kingdom has formally ceased its membership of the European Union. A transitional period is now in place until the end of 2020 while longer-term trade and immigration arrangements are worked out.
Although the transition will keep existing provisions around free movement of people and goods as they were before Brexit, this period is finite. Businesses should therefore take appropriate steps to plan for and support their workforce now. Our resources and guidance to help you do this can be found on this dedicated Brexit hub.
New on the hub
Learn about recruiting overseas workers, the categories of non-UK nationals able to enter and work in the UK, and the legal framework involved
Frequently asked questions with answers to guide you in your Brexit planning
Update on UK's post Brexit immigration policy
Resources and guidance to help you
Click on the icons below to see a list of relevant resources.
We've put together a series of frequently asked questions (FAQs) with answers to guide you in your Brexit planning.
Further information from Gov.uk:
CIPD impact on the policy debate
The CIPD has been and will continue to work with Government to ensure any Brexit-related policy decisions meet employer needs. During the Brexit process to date:
- We've been involved in meetings with key politicians and government officials, including the Rt Hon Caroline Nokes MP, Rt Hon Yvette Cooper MP and Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP.
- We're a member of the Home Office employers’ advisory group on the post-Brexit immigration policy.
- The CIPD and some of the UK’s largest business organisations signed an open letter to the Home Secretary offering help on designing the post-Brexit immigration system.
- We were the most quoted organisation (out of 450+ organisations) in the Migration Advisory Committee’s report on a new EU immigration system. The Government largely adopted the report’s recommendations in its immigration White Paper.
- We published our report, A practical immigration system for post-Brexit Britain, outlining our key policy recommendations for government ahead of new migration restrictions.
Read the CIPD’s viewpoint on Brexit and future immigration policy for our list of recommended actions for employers and Government.